Click here to download the Primary upd8 promotional flyer.
AZ Cool Science project was funded by AstraZeneca and aimed to help teachers to use Primary upd8 activities and active learning approaches. Click here to download the report written by Bob Ponchaud and Anne Goldsworthy, Project Leaders.
Making 'hot science' cool! article from ASE's Education in Science journal by Bob Ponchaud and Anne Goldsworthy, Project Leaders. Click here to download the article.
Primary upd8 activities are downloadable white board presentations (with teacher notes for guidance) for all primary children which use topical events to create uniquely engaging science lessons.
New activities are added regularly to the web site during term time. The full range of activities are easily located, and are searchable by age range, topic and curriculum links.
- Make the science curriculum more relevant and exciting
- Make teaching 'scientific enquiry' skills more compelling and accessible
- Make learning memorable and achieve better SATs results
- Upd8s support literacy and numeracy and other cross-curricular links and make great assembly material
- They cover all Primary (5-11 year olds) science topics and QCA units
- They are designed to take advantage of your interactive whiteboard
Primary UPD8 makes science relevant using the power of topicality. Every week interesting science pops out of the news and popular culture. We create the bridge to the curriculum, with punchy activities that deliver content with maximum engagement.
Teachers urged us to tackle the ‘Difficult or dull’ topics in science. ‘Space’ has some tough concepts, so we’ve got an UPD8 to teach about the movement of the Sun and Moon through the TV context ‘Time Traveller’. It’s designed to make pupils mentally and emotionally involved, which as all good teachers know, makes it easier to grasp the ideas.
Turning news into high quality UPD8 activities every week requires a special team. Our editors and writers are practising and former teachers, dedicated to engaging pupils, developing their scientific capability and to making UPD8 the best science resource around.